Wednesday, July 2, 2008

love is strong, It's been there holding you all along

Where do I even start.

Sunday-
Church- We went to a church service that was over 3 hours long. It was so amazing. The people, music, preaching...all great. It has been really cool to attend churches that are in this community. It really is a nice way to get to know the city a little bit better!
Jesus for President- That was so awesome. I wish I would have been able to sit and talk to Shane and Chris a little bit more but they were awesome. Hearing them speak was amazing. The music that went along with their lecture was so fun. We got to see their veggie oil bus and eat dinner with them.

Monday-
Camp was a little crazy but it was expected beacause it was the first day of the week.
Moses- Okay so in our basement we have a whole bunch of HUGE wooden bible characters. So we thought it would be a good idea to put the giant moses on top of the house of the director of Hartford City Mission. So us interns and Jim-our boss walked to their house and put moses on the roof. It was pretty hilarious.

Tuesday
Crazy camp day again.
My night to cook dinner. It was so relaxing. I just blasted The Robbie Seay Band and cooked dinner.
Bible study- It was the last night of the book of Amos...We start James next week. We had some really good prayer after and just great discussion.

Today
Went to a meeting for a camping trip thing we want to do with our kids.
Camp- Took the kids swimming! So fun! I thought it was going to be crazy but it turned out to be a blast. One of the kids couldn't swim so I tried to teach him. I'm sure i wasn't the best teacher but he wanted to learn so bad. He couldn't really get the hang of it but he did get better. He was pretty frustrated but I encouraged him by telling him that it's hard at first but with enough practice he will learn.He promised me that he wouldn't give up! I promised him that I would keep helping.
Community Outreach- We helped a young couple move very heavy items from their third floor apartment to their new third floor apartment down the street. It was awesome to be able to help them but I just wish I was a tad bit stronger.

And now here I sit wondering where the week has gone. It is already almost thursday and I can't believe it. Today was a little rough. Camp went well. I feel like I did really well connecting with the kids and even the high school volunteers. I just found myself feeling pretty insecure about like where I am at with school or where I am at in terms of a job when I get back. Or where am I going to live. I totally want to live in community with other followers of Christ because just in the past month it has been such an awesome experience.

I'm not going to lie, it's pretty difficult, especially on days like today to be away from everyone. I mean like my friends and my family. I have missed home lately but at the same time I am loving it here. I feel like I am growing so much in my relationship with Christ and I am having a blast. Falling asleep is never easy here. The noise of the city and just the fears that run through my mind are pretty tough to ignore even as I drown them out with music.

Everynight during evening prayer we explain a time of the day where we saw God and a time during the day where we missed God. This could be anything. For instance a time where you saw God could just be a time where you really felt his presence or that he was speaking. Or just in seeing the beauty of nature or anything like that. Missing God is anywhere that you feel like God was just not there during or you ignored him, or anything like that. Today my seeing God moment was in the pool teaching Jabrel how to swim and just seeing how much he wanted it. He wasn't giving up. It was encouraging and I saw God teaching me something in that. I missed God during the day just not feeling adequate enough and just trying to find my place in the world and in this summer. Just feeling discouraged. I should have depended on Him in those moments but I didn't.

That practice is what we call The Daily Examine. I really encourage you all to try it. We do it every night. It really helps me acknowledge the work God is doing in my life but also helps me realize the stuff I need to work on in my relationship with Him

I should go to bed seeing that I pretty tired and have a long day tomorrow!

No comments: