Thursday, July 24, 2008

A new day...

Well today was a day of two extremes.

I did not want to get out of bed. It was pouring and I was cold and covered in my huge quilt. I woke up really overwhelmed with a really heavy heart. We discussed this morning how some of us feel burnt out because of how busy we are. Some of us also feel like we have not made much progress with the kids at camp. We just have to remember that this is the first time Hartford City Mission has put on a camp that lasted the whole summer...

Since it was rainy we did our bible story then showed a movie. After the bible story Steve had put together a hip hop beat for the kids to sing one of our songs to. The kids LOVED it. Eventually Steve asked if anyone danced and the kids went nuts! All of the kids just started chanting someones names right after another. They started with the staff and then went on to the other campers. It was beautiful. The kids were encouraging other and not fighting. I literally had tears in my eyes just watching this. It was the most beautiful chaotic situation ever! After that Leah decided it would be fun to play in the rain. So we told the kids to run outside and play! It was so much fun! The kids, interns and volunteers had a blast! It was awesome to actually play with them. I have never had so much fun playing in the rain then I did today! Before today I couldn't tell you when the last time I jumped in a puddle was!

Today camp was amazing. The best day so far...

After camp we came home and had dinner. Tonight was one of our last times to do some community outreach so Jim encouraged us to try something new today. We invited Dion, his mom and his brother over for dessert. (If you don't remember or if you are just starting to read this, Dion is the kid in my group who struggles with his behavior and who just has really been having a rough time at camp.) It was amazing. It seriously was so great to have them over. I just pray that we made an impact on that family.

Our day is pretty much over now. I have a bunch of reading to do and I have to prepare for a phone interview that I have scheduled for next week. (I am applying for a job at a preschool in San Diego)

I just have a few prayer requests:

Yesterday at camp we shared about Jesus and how he preformed miracles. I asked the kids in my group what kind of miracles they would like to see in Hartford. One of the kids said for the killing to stop. So please pray for that. Pray for the safety of these kids and their families.

Steve(another intern) just found out his Grandma has cancer. Please just pray for him and his family

Karl, a friend of all of the interns and a boyfriend to one, got word that his Grandma had a heart attack and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

Pia, a lady who has helped out teaching dance at camp, today her dad who has alzheimers has taken a turn for the worse.

We got all of this news throughout the day making the day a little bit harder. It's just pretty sad to see all of this. My heart goes out to those people and their families.

Also tomorrow is the day that we are sharing the gospel with the kids. We will be giving them an invitation to come to Christ. Please just pray for that. Pray that these kids will be changed by who Jesus is.

I'm super tired... time for bed!

No comments: