Monday, July 21, 2008

Hey friends...

So it's been a while since I have updated last. Last time I wrote was last Monday...

Last week may have been one of the most stressful weeks here. There were a lot of issues at camp with kids and their behavior. Things have not really improved with Dion.It breaks my heart.

Last Tuesday we gave the high school volunteer assigned to my group the task to take Dion under his wing and form more of a one on one relationship with him. Halfway through the day Jeff gave up. UGH! This kid does not need anymore people to give up on him. He has been given up on too many times already. He needs to know he is loved. He needs to know that people do care about him. That was such a hard day. We came home and I cooked dinner. We ate a silent dinner in the basement and then had bible study. I got a chance to talk to Russel that night about my experiences as an intern and about camp. Russel used to live upstairs( until he got married about a month ago) He was also an intern for 2 years like 5 years ago. He now lives 2 doors down with his new wife) It was really good talking to him and hearing his encouraging words.

Wednesday we went to the state capitol for a tour. Half of the kids loved it.The other half well not so much. As for Dion...another rough day that led to him not being allowed at camp the next day. We hung out with the high school kids that night and went to a local church's VBS.

Thursday we went to Strattonbrook Park for another fun day of catching grasshoppers and soaking up some sun! The day went pretty well. It was calmer than usual.

Friday was a different day. Instead of doing the regular camp schedule we cleaned up the park. It was a little frustrating in that my helpers for the day wanted nothing to do with cleaning. It was also a little frustrating that none of the kids would listen to me and were just going absolutely nuts! I actually had to yell. And if you guys know me at well...you know that I don't like to yell. I was really just upset about having to raise my voice. That night we went out to dinner with Leah and her daughter. It was really fun just to go out with her and hang out. She is so encouraging.

Saturday was open house. It was fun...but hard. so hard. To see everyones family and to be awkwardly standing around with other peoples families was just super depressing. I mean it's expected being the one from California so far away from her friends and family. That night we saw the new Batman movie. I didn't really like it too much. Too violent.

Sunday we went to church and I took an amazing nap. We had our book discussion and then we had our weekly debrief. Because we all napped we were all super silly. It was hilarious. Me and Patti then went to the basement and had girl time. It was awesome. Just to hang out was amazing.

Today camp was better than every day last week but still a bit nuts. Dion was sent home. I don't even know where to go with him. Its just really sad...

Sorry this is so long...haha a lot happened.

Only 18 days left in Hartford... weird.

Please just be praying for the camp and the kids.

I love you

ps can't wait for road trip part 2

No comments: