Wednesday, July 30, 2008

:]My eyes are small but they have seen the beauty of enormous things

These past few days have been great!

My time here is ending next Friday. I can't believe it.

Camp has been great this week. We have done so many fun things with the kids.

Monday was the best Monday by far! Usually Mondays are crazy because the kids come to camp after a weekend of no structure and sometimes no rules. They may not have received any attention so by this time they are starving for it...even if it is negative. This Monday I was really able to maintain my group. It took some work for Dion but hes doing so much better. There were a few times he got pretty upset but we talked about it and then he was better!

Yesterday we took the kids on a canoe adventure! It was so much fun! I will admit that I was very worried about it. I wondered who the first kids would be to flip their canoe or who would fall in. Thankfully, no one fell in. I was a little scared in my canoe. I had two 6 year olds. One of them, Leshia, was in front with the paddle.She was trying so hard but her little arms just couldn't turn the paddle correctly. And then little Larry was in the middle where he sat in the canoe so scared. It was really cute. There were a few issues. A few of us nicknamed yesterday tantrum Tuesday. ha ha so true.

Last night we(Hartford City Mission) had a benefit at Flatbread. Flatbread is a completely organic pizza restaurant. Steve played music and there was a slide show of camp all night long. The people working that night told us that last night was the best turn out for a benefit in a really long time( they have one every Tuesday) We are not sure how much we made but just in the donation box and donation cups on the tables was 120 dollars! so amazing.

Today was so interesting. My bed kinda broke last night so I woke up on a slightly slanted mattress. Rough morning. Ha ha. Then I went and picked up the lunches for camp( We are doing a free lunch program through the city) On my way home I passed our house by accident and was extremely confused. Then I got home and Brittany told me she desperately needed coffee. So we were quick like bunnies and sped off to get coffee for everyone! Camp was great. We went to this state park that taught us how to go fly fishing( we actually didn't get to go because the water was too high but now we know how) We also went on a mini nature hike. It was a lot of fun and the kids loved it.

Tonight was great. I took a nap and woke up to amazing dinner that one of our friends made us. Then we hung out for a bit. Eventually there was an intense sharpie fight. We did our daily examine but could not get through it without laughter. I have not laughed that hard in months. I was almost crying. I just thank God for fellowship and laughter.

Today was so awesome to sense God's presence even in the midst of confusion and situations that could potentially be frustrating! I really felt like I could rejoice even in the hard stuff.

It was also great talking to Sam tonight. A familiar voice from home is always good.

These next two days might be a bit nuts. Please just pray for energy and patience. Please ask God to calm my heart about the ending of camp. As much as I can't wait to go home and see everyone again, I am torn. I don't want to leave these beautiful children.
May God, who is a god who provides, a god of love, of patience, of joy, and of hope provide you with blessings and peace for the rest of the week!

No comments: